Coyotes have been in the news lately; having caused trouble in Riverside South as well as Barrhaven. They are not frequently encountered; but in the event that you do meet up with one please be aware of the following guidelines:
- Do not approach or touch the animal
- Do not turn your back or run
- Back away from the animal while remaining calm
- Stand tall, wave your hands and make lots of noise.
- Carry a flashlight at night.
- If there is immediate threat or danger to public safety – call 911
If you are a dog owner:
- Keep your dogs inside at night.
- Clean up after your dog. Coyotes are attracted to dog feces.
- Spay or neuter your dog. Coyotes are attracted to and can mate with domestic dogs that have not been spayed or neutered.
On your property:
- Motion sensored lights can deter wild animals.